Saturday, November 21, 2009

On being married

Being a teacher is a very difficult job; it is draining and frustrating and way too political.  Being a mommy is an even tougher job; it's exhausting and worrisome and quite messy.  Being a wife, however, is surely the most challenging job of all!  We vow to love one man for the rest of our lives, for better or worse; and so far I have had no problem with the "love" part but I am mighty glad that I never once had to pledge I would ENJOY every second of every day with him (for better or worse).  Because the truth is, there are days like today when I would rather be married to the cute little frog prince statue that sits on my shelf as a reminder of days gone by.  I am so lucky to have found my true "prince" but if I had known as a little girl that the prince was a really bad morning person who awoke with grumbles and complaints every morning...I have a feeling my dreams may have gone a bit differently.  I would like to offer a word of advice for all the sweet young ladies who are about to enter the world of the married. Trust me girls, It's not all it's cracked up to be.  There are a lot of "better" days, in fact, my experience has been that there are more better days than worse.  But when  the "worse" part comes around, don't be fooled into thinking that this vow only covers big catastrophic mistakes from our prince.  No. Rather, I have begun to believe that this vow is a stipulation to marriage because God knows ahead of time just how quickly a woman may become frustrated with her husband for the little things.  Today the "little thing" that is driving me makes me ask "why?"  Why is it that no matter how many hours I have worked at school and at home; he is always 100% convinced that he has worked harder and therefore requires more sleep?  I am tired.  I am ALWAYS tired.  But I continue on with my life and try VERY hard not to complain about how tired I am.  My prince on the other hand must have at least 8 full uninterrupted hours if he is to function as a nice civilized human being.... ARGHHH!!!

0 comments: